Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Kellogg's Special K Nourish

My very first review...I can feel the excitement!

I joined a website called BzzAgent, and after completing my profile and surveys, I sat back and waited to see what my first campaign would be.  Not long after, I was invited to join on to review Kellogg's Special K Nourish products.  I've never been a big fan of Special K cold cereals, but hey, things change, so I wanted to go into this with an open mind.  They sent me 3 Nourish cereal bars, and 3 Nourish hot cereal bowls. 

Honestly, the cereal bars, yuck.  The big push with these products is the inclusion of quinoa.  Not 'qwin-o-ah', but 'keen-wah'.  Yes, I completely get you on this.  So back to the bars.  Well, the flavor was lemon based and I was super excited.  I know quinoa is the 'in' grain right now, so I had high hopes for some lemony yumminess.  Alas, hopes were dashed.  I didn't even finish it.  I let my husband try a different flavor, and he didn't like them, either.  Oh well.

How about those hot cereals?  Well, quinoa-friendly products haven't been scoring high for me, but I wanted to be faithful to the BzzAgent campaign that I had agreed to complete, so I finally cracked open my first bowl, cranberry almond.  Expectations were low, but the product was easy enough to make.  It's just like regular instant oatmeal, add hot water and let it sit for 2-3 minutes.  I can do that, even before my first cup of coffee, so I was off to the races.  After waiting 3 mins, I noticed that some of the oatmeal mix on the bottom had not been penetrated by water yet, so I stirred it up, added in the cranberries and then put the lid back on for another couple of minutes.  I skipped adding the almonds, as I'm not a big nut fan (I didn't say I wasn't nutty, just not a big fan of eating them).  Drumroll, pleasssssssssssse:  it was fantastic!  I am so surprised that I actually enjoyed the quinoa this time.  The sweetness level is perfect, and I really enjoy the addition of fruit, not simply fruit-flavoring.  I'm sure the almonds would give the last kick for crunch factor, but hey, you buy your own and let me know what you think! 

There are two more flavors for the hot cereal, one of which, Chris already gobbled up (maple brown sugar crunch).  That leaves me with cinnamon raisin pecan for tomorrow.  Maybe that will get me out of bed a little easier.  Yeah, no need to raise false hopes with that, unless Nourish will be supplying a complimentary crane, too.

I definitely will be adding the Nourish hot cereal to my shopping list for our quickly approaching wintry mornings.  I'm going to skip on the cereal bars - you can have mine.  ;-)